The studying of many disciplines is impossible without independent research work, when students should improve their understanding of the topic and delve deeper into the details of an issue. That’s why students are often assigned research papers.
So, you have realized that you are ready to write your research paper. It’s obvious that before you start writing, you should pick the right topic and research paper type. Perhaps you have one or several cool research paper ideas, but are you sure that you will be able to write a good paper?
Before you will be ready to pick one from research topics, you should answer the following questions:
– Is there an issue that you are really interested in?
– Have you heard something controversial or curious in articles and mass media about the topic?
– Do you have enough information to make research?
– Does the topic meet your further research plans?
In any case, the best assistants when writing research papers are only reputable sources like libraries, open access journals, encyclopedias, reliable news, and academic sources. Various materials that you can find on the internet should help you choose a topic, so don’t skip any chance to get more ideas.
Make the most to find more research paper topics from which you can choose the most suitable for you. To pick the right topic, think twice! Make sure that it will be interesting both for you and your audience. Many topics were already covered by hundreds of students and it’s become a real quest to find interesting and innovative topics for research papers.
List of Topics and Ideas for a Research Paper
We have created an exhaustive list of topic ideas that would be a good basis for research papers. You can use them as they are or choose the direction they are leading to. We hope this list of good research paper topics will serve you as a good source of inspiration, so let’s check it out!
Marketing Research Paper Topics
- Marketing in the healthcare industry: overcoming characteristic features and following trends.
- The relationship between cultural indicators and attitudes toward ads.
- Retro design and nostalgic marketing: influence of nostalgic trends in consumer behavior.
- Quantitative research of consumer attitude toward food product advertising.
- The peculiarities of sporting event marketing and promotion of tourist destinations.
- The impact of religious traditions on tourism marketing and its commodification.
- Analysis of characteristics the content should have to help advertisements go viral.
- Marketing analysis of the intelligence property market and its peculiarities.
- Peculiarities of marketing strategies and market analysis in the video game industry.
- Using symbols as a marketing tool in the example of Starbucks.
International Business Research Paper Topics
- What is Baidu? Describe what products it does and what perspectives it has.
- How can MME (Multi-National Enterprises) and global institutions contribute to global sustainability in the fishing industry?
- How do US corporations like Microsoft cheat with tax and profits? (check out our tax research paper about US corporations)
- What is the financial state of TATA Motors? What are the perspectives?
- What challenges has Netflix faced during the launch in India? What strategies does Netflix implement in developing markets?
- What distinctive characteristics does China’s internet have compared to the US?
- What problems does Uber face? What should be done to avoid them?
- What retail assortment management strategies does Amazon implement?
- Why global computing companies like IBM move their centers to India?
- What is Ethereum and how can it be used in business processes? (read an Ethereum research paper sample to find out the answer)
Find more international business research paper topics.
Economics Research Paper Topics
- What are the principles of monopoly power? What are functioning and regulation problems of a monopoly?
- Should the Adani Carmichael mine be supported? Describe the situation and possible solutions.
- What were the main causes of the Asian currency crisis in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, and Korea?
- Describe Sino-Pakistani cooperation and the history of rapprochement of relations between Pakistan and India.
- What is intelligence-led policing (ILP)? What strengths and weaknesses have been identified with this model of policing?
- What influence does the federal reserve system have on the US economy?
- Competitive risk assessment and the estimated target market.
- Economic issue of importance in food policy. How can food policy prevent world hunger?
- Discuss the role of the WTO in freeing the world trade during the past 10 years.
- Should the government classify Bitcoin as a legal currency?
Medical Research Paper Topics
- How can children’s drawings help with the diagnosis of psychological and somatic disorders?
- How does epidemiological monitoring influence the changing approaches in asthma treatment?
- How to evaluate risk factors of osteoarthritis and prescribe contemporary therapy?
- How to handle pain among newborns? How to prevent pain or minimize the level of a newborn’s discomfort?
- How does over-attention relate to obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD)? What is the exact behavior of over-attention? (you will find the OCP Disorder Research Paper here soon)
- What are characteristics of viral and alcoholic cirrhosis? What differences are in disease management?
- Does proper nutrition and dieting influence the development of dementia? (read the full Dementia Research Paper about Proper Nutrition)
- What treatment is the most effective for blunt chest trauma care in acute nursing?
- What treatment should be chosen for managing patients with HPV in the reproductive age?
- What therapy should be chosen for functional disorders of digestion in children?
History Research Paper Topics
- Why did Italian cities turn to minting gold in the thirteenth century?
- Is it helpful to describe the Agora in Athens as a ‘zone of competitive reciprocity’?
- Analyze etymology resources of a word’s history and stories.
- Discuss conventional theories and causes of the Great War.
- What was the background and consequences of the Battle of Jerusalem 1917?
- How did the American Revolution influence women’s rights? (find more details in our Women’s Rights Research Paper sample)
- What was the significance of chivarlic code and how did it work?
- How did Japan’s food culture transform through the centuries?
- What was the most important figure in the history of Christianity?
- Ancient traditions of the Amazon: territorial and religious aspects.
IT and Technology Research Paper Topics
- What is net neutrality and where can it lead to?
- What technological innovations are developed in mechanical engineering?
- How to protect automotive software of smart cars from cyber attacks?
- What does “NextGen” mean for business aviation?
- What are solutions in the current problem of the mobile payment systems in Walmart?
- How can automation and smart service improve HR services?
- Describe the Big Data technologies and their opportunities on the market.
- What strategies are implemented for sharing intellectual property?
- What are the prospects of online privacy security? Can it be real?
- What opportunities does a virtual reality business have?
Business Research Paper Topics
- How to build trust and bid for a price in negotiations?
- Do bonuses boost the effectiveness of sales?
- Does gender diversity enhance the financial success of the company?
- How should competitors of the same industry collaborate and why?
- Should the companies create the new product or first announce the idea to consumers and analyze their reaction?
- What are the effects of inaccessibility to a company’s mobile application?
- How can inviting millennials to management positions help the business?
- What helps some companies stand out during negative macro shocks?
- How do consumers conclude that certain goods are worth their prices?
- Which strategy saved IBM from insolvency?
Find more business topics for research paper.
Art History Research Paper Topics
- How was the human body represented in the works of the epoch of the Renaissance?
- What was the function of Egyptian art? Why were people not supposed to see it?
- What were the specifics of depicting scenes from the life of Christ in medieval Europe?
- What are common types of mosque architecture?
- What is the historical significance of “The Death of General Wolfe” – the painting by Benjamin West?
- Why was futurism the most politicized movement in the 20th century?
- How did Francis Bacon and the scientific revolution influence art?
- What similar characteristics do paintings of the time of the French Revolution and ancient Greek art have and why?
- How have Impressionists changed the hierarchy of subject matter in art? (here is the Impressionism Research Paper Sample)
- What significant changes did Andy Warhol bring to the advertising industry through his art?
Check out more art history research paper topics.
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- Psychological effects of child molestation that can cause problems in personal relationships.
- Should parents ban children from playing with toys “out of their gender?”
- How should parents identify the gender of children with ambiguous genitalia?
- Are there differences in psychological needs of people who cause themselves suicidal and non-suicidal harm?
- How does same-sex parenting affect children?
- What similar traits do prematurely born children have?
- Are crying and maltreatment connected for children?
- To what extent should law regulate family affairs?
- Does the person who relates to several groups have many selves?
- Do children benefit from growing up in nuclear families? (read more in our Nuclear Families Research Paper Sample)
Sociology Research Paper Topics
- What is the impact of overcrowded prisons on American society?
- Can movies change the value systems of people? (check the sample of Research Paper on Movies and People Values)
- How can commercialization of organ transplants affect the amount of people saved due to transplantation? (check out our Organ Donation Research Paper)
- Do backup cameras set up on a car invade people’s privacy? (see the details in our Research Paper on Privacy of Backup Cameras)
- Can Islamophobia be considered as religious discrimination? (read the Islamophobia Research Paper)
- Are US driving laws more driver or pedestrian oriented? (check Research Paper Sample on US Driving Laws)
- Should Facebook be censored?
- How to protect informational safety in the era of social media?
- Should the government provide homeless children with education?
- What sphere negatively influences democratic journalism more significantly – politics or business?
Literature Research Paper Topics
- What role does size play in Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels? What does the size symbolize?
- What does Mama’s plant symbolyze and how does this symbol develop throughout the novel A Raisin in the Sun?
- How has the role of the dream changed from Alice in Wonderland to Through the Looking-Glass?
- Through which characters and how is the theme of alienation from society revealed in Crime and Punishment?
- Does Jane Austen criticize women’s views on marriage of her era in Pride and Prejudice? (look through Pride and Prejudice Research Paper)
- How is the theme of superiority of youth and beauty depicted in The Picture of Dorian Gray? (The Picture of Dorian Gray Research Paper Sample will be available soon)
- Why can’t Claude Frollo be considered a typical antihero in The Hunchback of Notre Dame?
- How is the theme of animal instinct depicted in All Quiet on the Western Front? (All Quiet on the Western Front Research Paper will be available soon)
- How does the setting influence the perception of the story in The Great Gatsby?
- Which literary works are referred to in Fahrenheit 451 and why?
Drugs and Drug Abuse Research Paper Topics
- Is Marijuana a “gateway” or a “stepping stone” drug?
- Pathways to the disease and pathophysiological perspectives of heroin addiction.
- Prevention of substance abuse and addictions through counseling at-risk youth.
- Alcohol and drug abuse among homeless and runaway adolescents.
- Treatment research of addiction and substance abuse.
- Principles of drug abuse treatment for the criminal justice system.
- Prevention of prescription drug overdose and abuse.
- Substance abuse rates and treatment within LGTB communities.
- Side effects of principal doping substances.
- Pros and cons of drug testing among college students.
Education Research Paper Topics
- The effect of computers on students’ performance.
- Aspects and main principles of adolescent psychology.
- The role of prayer in schools and colleges.
- Social effects of teenage team sports in public schools.
- Psychological aspects of bullying in schools in the US.
- Future of digital learning at educational institutions.
- Using cognitive psychology in the learning process.
- Dynamic aspects of teenage friendships and educational attainment.
- Effects of standardized testing on the learning process.
- Pros and cons of home schooling compared to attending public schools.
Sports Research Paper Topics
- The reasons why chess should be considered a sport.
- Factors which influence the difference in female and male salaries in sports.
- The ways to reduce fan aggression that is enhanced by media.
- The appropriateness of women coaching men’s teams and vice versa.
- Sport betting should be prohibited as gambling.
- The role of sports in overcoming posttraumatic syndrome.
- The effect of age on the performance of athletes.
- Cheerleading should be banned for girls and boys aged under 18 for excessive sexualization of this type of sport. (check out our Cheerleading Research Paper Sample)
- The influence of athletes’ sexual orientation on their image and reputation.
- The most cruel kinds of sports that should be prohibited.
Find more sports research paper topics.
Virginia Kearney 4 days agofrom United States
That is an interesting question Oni, and I think you could possibly write a good paper about that. You could actually try an even broader question: How can the Internet Of Things be used to help in disease control?
Oni Anu 5 days ago
Is it possible to use Internet Of Things for disease control surveillance system?
Virginia Kearney 5 days agofrom United States
Hi Paola, you are right that you need to narrow the topic and one of the ways to do this is to turn it into a question which then can have several possible answers. Your answer will be the thesis. Here are some ideas:
How can parents best monitor their children's use of media?
How much online time should children have each day?
What are the risks of using the Internet that parents need to know?
Paola 7 days ago
I am trying to do a research paper on technology. The question that I came up with is: Are Parents Underestimating Children’s Risky Online
Experiences? I feel as if this question is way too broad. There are parents that are aware of how risky online experiences can be or are!
Can someone help me narrow it down?
Virginia Kearney 10 days agofrom United States
Hi Layla, I think you've written two good questions. I don't know whether these would be hard to research. The first question is descriptive and would be an explaining paper. The second paper is an evaluation. You could also do something like: How has social media changed the way the government and governed people communicate? How has Twitter changed the way people think about government? Do people know more or less now about their government than before there was technology and social media?
laylalankford 11 days ago
Aloha! I am looking for a research topic for Technology and Government. I came up with
How are technologies changing the way people interact with government entities.
Are cellphones and computers enabling us to communicate effectively with government.
I am not positive if these are strong topics to do a research paper on. Any advice or suggestions?
Virginia Kearney 2 weeks agofrom United States
A variety of topics could be done on concrete civil engineering. Here are a few:
What is the best way to make concrete earthquake safe?
How is smart concrete changing the way civil engineers design their projects? Smart concrete has dormant bacteria spores along with calcium lactate which fills in cracks and self-heals the concrete.
Is smart concrete really better?
How can concrete be used in zero energy buildings?
Virginia Kearney 2 weeks agofrom United States
Hi Sarah, you can narrow your topic by talking about either one particular kind of social network, like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Another way to narrow the topic is to talk about what kind of information, such as political action, current news, disaster preparedness, or even a very specific situation like school shootings.
vivek behera 2 weeks ago
tell me some topic related to concrete technology related to civil engineering
Sarah 2 weeks ago
Hi, I also need a help for narrowing the topic because my teacher thinks it is kind of wide. I proposed for my topic to be "The impact of social networks on dissemination of information" but he wants me to narrow it and I don't really know how.
Virginia Kearney 3 weeks agofrom United States
Hi William, you probably want to add something about what they are hacking. If students are your focus group, then you might want to add what they hack, such as school records, or their grades.
William 3 weeks ago
Hi, could you help me narrower the topic please? My topic is to do a research to investigate the perception of hacking among student, but my teacher say it is too wide range.
Virginia Kearney 3 weeks agofrom United States
Hi Jencee, you could do a topic like: What is the best IT school for _____(pick an It major)?
Why do IT students need to take courses in English?
What is the difference between online and traditional IT schools?
Which IT major do most female students prefer?
How can more females be attracted to IT careers?
Jencee 3 weeks ago
Hello, I like your ideas but I'm still having problems about choosing a research topic. Can you help me? My teacher told us to think of what we could research about IT students or IT schools.. Thank you!
Virginia Kearney 4 weeks agofrom United States
1. How does technology use change the way a business (state a type of business) practice?
2. What is the best new technology to develop alternative energy businesses?
3. How can using new technologies help a restaurant business improve efficiency and customer service?
Showkat Ahmed 4 weeks ago
suggest me some topics about technologies and businesses???
Virginia Kearney 7 weeks agofrom United States
Hi Jerick, the science of criminology is also called forensics. The topics in this article are for research rather than experimenting. For an experiment topic, you might want to do something about trying to pick up fingerprints from different surfaces. You would have to look up how to pick up fingerprints first. This is not hard to do. My kids did this at a science museum. Then you would test different surfaces like paper, glass, wood, metal etc. The question could be "which surface is the easiest to get a clear fingerprint from?" If you do this experiment, please come back and tell me how it went!
jerick 7 weeks ago
hi ma'am, can you help us? were constructing a topic on our research but its difficult. the instruction of our teacher is, it must be apply with experimenting based on our course and my course is about criminology. thank you
Virginia Kearney 3 months agofrom United States
Ian and Aye--I'd suggest that you look at my other articles, especially the one that gives science essay ideas.
Ian and Aye 3 months ago
Hello maam! Can you help us? We are having a difficulty on choosing our topic and constructing a title for it. We are Education students major in Biology. Can you please give or suggest some qualitative research or topics? We are from Philippines and we need your help.
Virginia Kearney 3 months agofrom United States
Hi Ariemar, any of the questions here would make a good title. You can shorten it a bit. I like using questions for a title because it makes the reader interested in the answer, and therefore more open to reading your paper. Perhaps you could use, "Is Social Media Use Harmful to Students?"
IBUY 3 months ago
Hi. Its a wide range of good gopics but can I ask for your suggestion of research topics about engineering?
Mehak 4 months ago
i want to know some useful topics about educational technology
KRISHNA MAHATO 4 months ago
thanks for your topics
mae 5 months ago
good topics about digital learning please.
sebastian 6 months ago
marine Technology for good topic?
Meseret Tadesse from Ethiopia,wsu. 7 months ago
thank! for your topics and idea.
Virginia Kearney 7 months agofrom United States
Hi ASD, you would need to narrow down your topic and idea in order to find a good title. You might want to look at my other topic ideas in my other articles on Science ideas.
Philip 7 months ago
This list was super helpful, there are some great ideas and topics to write about...thanks for publishing this.
Virginia Kearney 8 months agofrom United States
Hi Ariane--check out my other ideas on science topics by looking at my profile or searching on the site for my other articles. Here are a few ideas: What are the advantages of Free Space Optics? How is the Philippines most vulnerable to cyber attacks? How can we better protect our data from hackers?
Ariane 8 months ago
Hi good day! May I ask your help?? Help me find the best title for my research..my course is information system. About the computer system..I'm from Philippines..thank you ma'am
Virginia Kearney 8 months agofrom United States
Hi, Thea--Look at my article on Science Research Topics. Find the link either in the sidebar or on my profile page.
Thea 8 months ago
I need a research topic about science. A topic which is similar to investigatory project or science project.
Virginia Kearney 8 months agofrom United States
Thanks, Allie, You might want to check my article about science topics. In reality, most of chemical engineering is moving over to computational engineering and nanotechnology. So a good topic might be, "how is computational engineering changing chemical engineering" or "how is the chemical engineering profession changing?" Many colleges are actually dropping the name "chemical engineering" entirely.
Allie 8 months ago
The suggested topics given are all good. But can you also please give me an example of a research topic about chemical engineering? Its for my research paper in K12.
Virginia Kearney 9 months agofrom United States
Hi Mitch- for robotics and computer science topics, you might want to try: How will nanobots change biology? Are smart houses safe? Is facial recognition software making privacy impossible? How should we allow facial recognition software to be used? Is it a good idea for us to move everything to the cloud? What careers will robots take over in the next 20 years?
mitch 9 months ago
can you give an example of a research topic about robots or computer science?
Virginia Kearney 12 months agofrom United States
Des, for younger students, it is a good idea to pick a topic that they can research with videos as well as well as articles. I'd suggest going to YouTube and searching for educational videos on bread and pastry. That might give you some ideas. You also might want to start with a kitchen science type of approach. Then start with a question that students can look for to answer. For example, "What are the different ways to make bread around the world?" or "What are the different ways to make bread rise?" or "What is the history of sourdough bread?"
I'm Des 12 months ago
Do you have some techniques in formulating research titles for specialized subjects in K to 12, most specially about bread and pastry. Your help and suggestion will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Virginia Kearney 17 months agofrom United States
Hi Restituto--I have everything you would need to write a research paper here on HubPages. Look for "Problem Solution paper" and "Research Essay."
restituto 17 months ago
hi! can you help me for my research paper which is all about in technology that affects in colleges student and how we solve it.. thanks!
sanjay 18 months ago
super, great job. Thank you. This can be a lifesaver :)
Virginia Kearney 21 months agofrom United States
Hi Madhavi--I don't understand why you would be running out of time trying to choose a Ph.D proposal. Generally, you should be working that out with the professor in charge of your research. However, I do think that this is something that people are actually researching on right now in education and probably this could be a general topic area for your research. However, you would need a narrow and specific focus for a Ph.D. along with specific areas of learning you would be examining.
MADHAVI 21 months ago
Hi,I would like to confirm about one essay topic of above mentioned...i.e..How important is it that schools teach using ipads,smart boards,social media and other new technologies?... is it a research topic which can be picked up for a phd research proposal????
PLz help me by responding immediately on this..am running out of time..
Doris James-MizBejabbers 2 years ago